Diabetic Foot Care Tips
Diabetic foot care tips can really improve your quality of life. The fact of the matter is, diabetes is a serious condition. And, diabetics must do more in order to protect their overall health. That includes more than just blood sugar and weight, it also means taking good care of your feet.
When people think about diabetes, they generally go right to diet and weight. After all, those two things are very important to everyone –especially diabetics. But, your feet are important because their health can greatly impact the rest of your body. Here are some helpful diabetic foot care tips you can use:
- Perform a daily check. Be sure to check your feet every day for any signs of cuts, blisters, swelling, and other problems. If you see anything, take care of it right away.
- Wash your feet each day. This should go without saying but you need to wash your feet daily. Wash in warm water, not hot or cold. When finished, dry your feet completely and dry between your toes.
- Keep your feet soft and smooth. You should also apply skin lotion to your feet every single day, after washing and drying.
- Trim all your toenails once per week. You should trim your toenails weekly or biweekly. If either are two often, trim when necessary but keep your toenails short.
- Wear the right shoes and socks on your feet. It’s very important to wear the right shoes with a big toe box. Shoes should be comfortable and provide ample support.